CLIC = Mandrake Cluster Distribution

Richard C Ferri rcferri at us.ibm.com
Tue Sep 24 05:39:36 PDT 2002

Erwan,
      Not to start a flame war and divert attention from the real purpose
of this forum, which is discussing beowulf problems and not blatant self
promotion, I want to comment on your postings.

      CLIC appears to be YAB1S (Yet Another Beowulf 1 Solution).   The
woods are full of Beowulf 1 solutions that promise turn key setup and
installation (reference OSCAR, reference NPACI Rocks, and many others).
There are also many cloners that work with the golden client method
(reference SystemImager which has evolved into SIS, System Installation
Suite).  While "several scientists" may have used CLIC and liked it, OSCAR
and Rocks have been around since mid-2000, and have thriving open source
communities.  OSCAR has over 70,000 downloads to date as well.

      The real point that Don Becker was making is that the state of the
art evolved past Beowulf 1 back in mid-2000, to a Beo 2 model that doesn't
rely on a full install and therefore isn't subject to version skew -- nodes
getting out of sync over time.  The Beo 2 model also provides single system
image with regard to process space, and methods to manage remote processes
from a central point of control.

      My personal opinion (and not that of my employer) is that it's a
shame Mandrake didn't work more closely with the open source community to
leverage the work that's already been done to provide a turn  key beowulf 1
solution -- CLIC merely further fragments the beo 1 space.

These have been the opinions of:

Richard Ferri
IBM Linux Technology Center
rcferri at us.ibm.com