OK, I can finally talk about it (fwd)

Richard Walsh rbw at ahpcrc.org
Mon Sep 23 13:04:09 PDT 2002

Ron Minnich wrote:

>One question I keep getting from the Big Computer Vendors: "how many nodes
>will this sell this year? How much money?" Well, this year, linuxbios will
>sell at least 2500 or so dual-P4 nodes, not counting all the other types
>of nodes currently selling. And, though it is a small number, total
>linuxbios cluster node sales this year are over $16M, up from $0M last
>year.

Think the LinuxBios idea is cool and progres great, but noticed
that a simple division:

     $16,000,000  /  2500 =  $6,400

Is a bit on the high side (about $2,000 over what I need to
speed to get a fast dual-P4 Myrinet cluster today) ... perhaps
doing this division is too simple(istic)?

Can you comment? Thanks,

rbw

#---------------------------------------------------
# Richard Walsh
# Project Manager, Cluster Computing, Computational
#                  Chemistry and Finance
# netASPx, Inc.
# 1200 Washington Ave. So.
# Minneapolis, MN 55415
# VOX:    612-337-3467
# FAX:    612-337-3400
# EMAIL:  rbw at networkcs.com, richard.walsh at netaspx.com
#         rbw at ahpcrc.org
#
# "What you can do, or dream you can, begin it;
#  Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it."
#                                  -Goethe
# "Without mystery, there can be no authority."
#                                  -Charles DeGaulle
# "Why waste time learning when ignornace is
#  instantaneous?"                 -Thomas Hobbes