Dual channel DDR and the E7500 chipset

Camm Maguire camm at enhanced.com
Thu Sep 19 13:27:25 PDT 2002

Greetings!

Mark Hahn <hahn at physics.mcmaster.ca> writes:

> > Thanks for this reply!  We're also trying to manage this upgrade on a
> > budget, and would like to use our old ATX cases if possible.  The dual
>
> but I think you should seriously consider waiting for "granite bay"
> boards (e7205) which are rumored to be released real soon now.  they
> seem to be targetted at the workstation market - uniprocessor but with
> double-wide PC2100.  I'm guessing that at least some will be normal ATX-sized.

Thanks for this recommendation.  I'm inclined to agree.  Do you have
any indication that such boards might be available with a fast PCI
slot for Gigabit ethernet?  The frustrating item for us appears to be
the apparent mandatory tradeoff between memory and network bandwidths
in the currently available motherboards.  (I.e. to get a fast PCI
slot, one apparently needs a dual xeon board which will split 3.2 Gb/s
memory bandwidth between (possibly) 2 cpus -- to get 4.2 Gb/s or
higher memory bandwidth per cpu, one needs a single cpu board with
either RAMBUS or dual channel DDR which invariably seem to have only
PCI 33Mhz/32bit slots.)

Take care,

Camm Maguire			     			camm at enhanced.com