Tyan S2468UGN

Mikhail Kuzminsky kus at free.net
Thu Sep 12 08:52:56 PDT 2002

According to Alan Scheinine

> While we are on the subject on the Tyan AMD mother board,
> I have a question concerning the S2466 and S2468.  The manual
> of AMD for the AMD MP 2000+ and 2200+ says that the chip has
> a thermal diode but the mother board must have circuitry to
> read the diode.  Tom's hardware web site has a movie of what
> happens to the AMD if the heatsink is detached, it begins to
> smoke after about one second.  The manual of these Tyan boards
> at the Tyan site does not mention thermal shutdown protection.
> Do these Tyan boards have a thermal shutdown that would protect
> the board and the even greater risk of a fire?
   There is only few mobos which *really* do shutdown looking
to Athlon chip diode (in particular, one mobo from Fujitsu-Siemens).
And I know only about 1-CPU mobos :-(
Tyan don't say nothing simple because their mobos don't do this :-(
Beginning from July 2002 AMD certifies only mobos having
this feature, but Tyan mobos, as I understand, were developed
before this date.

Mikhail Kuzminksy
Zelinsky Institute of Organic Chemistry
Moscow