Tyan S2468UGN

David Mathog mathog at mendel.bio.caltech.edu
Wed Sep 11 09:16:57 PDT 2002

Couple of questions about the Tyan S2568UGN.  We have one running
RH 7.3 and the current lm_sensors installed.

1.  sync followed by poweroff brings the OS down but does NOT
turn off the power.  This even though ACPI is enabled in the BIOS.  Have
any of you been able to power down one of these boards from the OS
to the point where it turns off the power?

2.  Anybody have an appropriate sensors.conf file for this?  The default
one reads both CPUs and the motherboard at around 77C.  Well, that's
clearly
not right since I can hold my finger against the side of the heat sink
and
it's warm but not uncomfortably hot.  45C, tops.  Granted that's the
outside of the
heat sink, but it's hard to believe that there is a 30 degree
difference.  Similar
CPUs in Asus A7V266E motherboards read only 57C from the on chip
diode, and the mobo is only 28C. I don't know where the motherboard
sensor is on the Tyan but the board itself couldn't have been much above
room temperature.  Which makes me wonder if there's any connection at
all between the Temps coming out of the sensors program and what the
actual thermistors
are experiencing.

3.  Is there a BIOS temperature monitor on this board?  I looked and
couldn't
find one.

Thanks,

David Mathog