C++ programming

Garriss, Michael Michael.Garriss at abacus-direct.com
Wed Oct 16 07:13:22 PDT 2002

The power that C++ gives you can be and is often abused.  It is possible
(easy even) to write totally unreadable and un-extendable code.  It is also
possible to write code that is so totally wrong that no expert could hope to
fix it.  If you'd like to avoid these pitfalls there are a few "dumb-ed
down" languages (like Java) that work fine.  C++ is for programmers, not
people who just need programs.  I suspect many of the members of this list
fall into the later category.  For those people I would never suggest C++,
their best option to find a programmer.  In my email that started this
thread I merely suggested "taking the time to learn C++" because that's
exactly what it takes, time.  I misused C++ for about 9 years and have now
finally, in the last year, been using it to it's full potential.  I am
independent contractor/software engineer.  In this line of work you must hit
the ground running and produce code that in immediately effective and
usable.  C++ allows me (not necessarily you) to do this.  I am many times
more efficient because of things like: multiple inheritance (something Java
advocates claim is unnecessary but it far from it), templated types, the STL
and all generic programming libraries, the boost libraries. metaprogramming,
lambda functions, streams, etc.

-Mike Garriss