C++ programming (was Newbie Alert: Beginning parallel programming with Scyld)

Dean Johnson dtj at uberh4x0r.org
Tue Oct 15 12:01:51 PDT 2002

On Tue, 2002-10-15 at 13:15, Andrew Fant wrote:

> But seriously folks.  Would I get in TOO much trouble if I were to point
> out that if one is writing serious parallel numerical code, Fortran has
> much to recommend it, such as relative ease of parallelization and the
> fact that you can't get bogged down in trying recode the API just because
> you have easy access to raw system calls?

You obviously have used any of the new fortran constructs since, say,
Fortran-77. The newer construct give me this creepy "uppercase ADA"
feeling. ;-)

I would say that it would be roughly equivalent difficulty if you write
reasonably clear code in either language. The pain will be localized in
different areas in the different languages, but overall it should be
roughly the same. If you do unnatural acts with either language
(*cough*templates*cough*), you deserve what you get.

Personally I am more of a C+ programmer than a C++ programmer. I leave a
bunch of the dodgy features of the language to those much smarter and
patient than I.

	-Dean