C++ programming (was Newbie Alert: Beginning parallel program ming with Scyld)

Andrew Fant fant at pobox.com
Tue Oct 15 11:15:50 PDT 2002

On Tue, 15 Oct 2002, Robert G. Brown wrote:

> Arrrr, mateys, arrrr.  Tie 'em to the mizzenmast!  Keel haul 'em!  Hoist
> 'em on their own petards!  Did someone actually say "C++ rather than C"?
>
> Just kidding.
>
> Well, sorta kidding.  I'd never hoist anybody on a petard (too dangerous
> to innocent bystanders) and don't even know what a mizzenmast is.  So
> that leaves keel-hauling;-)
>
>    rgb

Don't be concerned about not knowing what a mizzenmast is.  I've haven't
seen one in years.  Appears they have all gone mizzen 8-).

But seriously folks.  Would I get in TOO much trouble if I were to point
out that if one is writing serious parallel numerical code, Fortran has
much to recommend it, such as relative ease of parallelization and the
fact that you can't get bogged down in trying recode the API just because
you have easy access to raw system calls?

Andy

Andrew Fant      |   This    |  "If I could walk THAT way...
Molecular Geek   |   Space   |     I wouldn't need the talcum powder!"
fant at pobox.com   |    For    |          G. Marx (apropos of Aerosmith)
Boston, MA USA   |   Hire    |    http://www.pharmawulf.com