Server room power engineering

Joseph Mack mack.joseph at epa.gov
Tue Oct 15 10:55:38 PDT 2002

"Robert G. Brown" wrote:

> Dear Listvolken:

a few years ago, at the place I worked, all the machines
were behind a UPS and the whole floor went out one day. We found that
the UPS had been setup to drop power to all the downstream
boxes, when its feed died.

The explanation we got was that it had been
setup that way so we'd know that the power had failed,
otherwise all the machines would be running on the UPS
without any input power and we'd be living with a
false sense of security.

Joe
--
Joseph Mack PhD, Senior Systems Engineer, SAIC contractor
to the National Environmental Supercomputer Center,