kickstart install using NFS

Robert G. Brown rgb at
Fri Oct 11 14:32:50 PDT 2002

On Fri, 11 Oct 2002, Yudong Tian wrote:

> It happens that I just did PXE a couple months ago and jotted down the procedure
> I took, in fairly detail,
> It took ~5 min for a node to get done, and you can do it in parallel with many nodes.
> A floppy would not have been used if we had not had to update the BIOS
> for other reasons.

Yeah, but that depends very much on NIC/motherboard.  Some NICs come
with PXE literally turned off.  Others have PXE but it won't work until
reflashed.  THese can add some arrrggh... to that first install.

Robert G. Brown
Duke University Dept. of Physics, Box 90305
Durham, N.C. 27708-0305
Phone: 1-919-660-2567  Fax: 919-660-2525     email:rgb at