Server room power engineering

Robert G. Brown rgb at phy.duke.edu
Thu Oct 10 08:41:31 PDT 2002

Dear Listvolken:

As we've been pushing through emergency revisions of the incredibly poor
wiring job done for our new server room, the following documents were
discovered by one of our computing committee persons.  I forward them to
the list to get them into the list archives and because the first, at
least, should be required reading for any individuals, groups,
architects, or electricians involved in planning or designing premises
wiring for computer clusters.  I promise -- the Bad Things that result
from harmonics and waveform distortion resulting from improper/naive
wiring are very real and very costly until they are corrected.

It is unfortunate that we have to be our own experts here as so many
places -- one might have hoped that a beowulf person didn't have to
effectively study for a journeyman electrician's license -- but alas it
just works out that way.  So anyway, enjoy!