Apple Xserve

Dean Johnson dtj at uberh4x0r.org
Tue Oct 8 07:04:58 PDT 2002

On Tue, 2002-10-08 at 08:23, Josip Loncaric wrote:

> P.S.  G4 processors run cooler than Pentiums or Athlons, but Apple's packaging
> has only a few front or back airflow outlets.  Given the probable amount of
> heat generated internally, this is a bit puzzling.  Perhaps they draw air
> vertically or sideways as well?  Hmmm...

As I understand it, the thermal target for the G4's is 24 watts, which
is under half of what the current P4's are. The key to dealing with the
lack of vents is RPMs. ;-) Like almost all other 1U's, it really whines
annoyingly. I once had 10 PC's, an SGI Origin 200, and a 1U SGI 1100 in
my small home office and it was the little 1100 that drove me batty.

	-Dean