wake-on-LAN, thin nodes, etc.

Huntsinger, Reid reid_huntsinger at merck.com
Mon Oct 7 10:21:08 PDT 2002

Yes, PVM and Mosix are compatible. There's a case study in: Barak A.,
Braverman A., Gilderman I. and La'adan O., Performance of PVM with the MOSIX
Preemptive Process Migration , Proc. 7th Israeli Conf. on Computer Systems
and Software Engineering, Herzliya, pp. 38-45, June 1996. Available at:
http://www.mosix.cs.huji.ac.il/ftps/mosixhpcc.ps.gz.

You might wish to look into openMosix (www.openmosix.org); among other
considerations, the license status of Mosix is not exactly "free", and the
openMosix list is quite a bit more active than the Mosix list.

Mosix and openMosix have both been reported to work well with PVM and
versions of MPI. The process migration mechanism is not visible to PVM/MPI
as it is kernel-level.

Reid Huntsinger