Top 500 trends

Richard Walsh rbw at ahpcrc.org
Wed Nov 27 10:26:32 PST 2002

On Wed, 27 Nov 2002 09:22:20 Greg Lindahl:

>> > STREAM bandwidth is the main one.
>>
>> out of curiosity, do you mean "PCs have improved a lot",
>> or "big iron is even faster now"?
>
>Neither. Try reading what I quoted; if you compare vector cpus vs. PCs
>using the STREAM benchmark as your measure of speed...

In support of the idea that sustained bandwidth to/from memory is still
an advantage vector computers (read custom designed) have, a single X1
SSP processor should deliver over 600 64-bit MFLOPS sustained from memory
(large arrays) for the stream triad. Back computing the bandwidth is
left as an exercise. ;-)

The machine has a cache to boost the number for smaller arrays.

rbw