KS file, floppy boot, and NIC not on boot floppy.

Brian D. Ropers-Huilman bropers at lsu.edu
Thu Nov 21 07:36:36 PST 2002

On Thu, 21 Nov 2002 beowulf-admin at beowulf.org wrote:
> On Thu, 21 Nov 2002 at 7:17am, Henderson, TL Todd wrote
>
> > I suspect I have 4 options:
> >
> > a.)  Deal with it.
> > b.)  Move the e1000 module to the floppy.  However, I don't seem to have the
> > room on the floppy to do this.
>
> You can delete drivers you don't need out of the initrd.img on the boot
> floppy to make room for the e1000 module from the drivers disk..
> *However*, note that the earliest e1000 driver that supports the dual
> onboard NICs seen on, e.g., Supermicro's E7500 boards is 4.3.2.  The
> version shipped on the RedHat 7.3 images is 4.1.7, and so won't work.  If
> you're talking 8.0, you're probably fine.

I don't know if you've played with RedHat's boot floppies, but to put
the module in you'll have to add it to the cpio'd gziped
/modules/modules.cgz and you may have to add an entry in the
/modules/module-info or the /modules/modules.dep as well.

--
Brian D. Ropers-Huilman                   (225) 578-0461 (V)
Systems Administrator                     (225) 578-6400 (F)
Office of Computing Services              brian at ropers-huilman.net
High Performance Computing                http://www.ropers-huilman.net/
Fred Frey Building, Rm. 201, E-1Q                             \o/
Louisiana State University                      --  __o   /    |
Baton Rouge, LA 70803-1900                     --- `\<,  /    `\\,
                                                   O/ O /     O/ O