0,000,000 for cluster computing

John Brookes johnb at quadrics.com
Tue Nov 12 08:00:19 PST 2002

I agree with Alan that claims should be taken with the _appropriate_ pinch
of salt, but reliability is _so_ important that I think that
misinterpretation shouldn't be an issue. Whilst - for farms, at least - it
is sometimes OK to refer to the system as a whole, when it comes to HP(T)C,
the mean time to _node_ failure is more than significant. If you're running
a single job on, say, 32 nodes that'll last 10 days (not entirely typical,
but far from ridiculous) and one of the nodes fails after 9 days.......
Oops! That'll be a fair amount of cash down the drain then.

John Brookes
Quadrics
T: +44 (0)117 9155500
F: +44 (0)117 9075395