SMC 8624T 24-port 10/100/1000 switch

Dean Johnson dtj at uberh4x0r.org
Wed Nov 6 13:36:37 PST 2002

On Wed, 2002-11-06 at 13:34, Bob Drzyzgula wrote:
> Has anyone on this list had any experience with one of
> these? The specs seem too good for the price: 88Gbps
> fabric, 24 10/100/1000 copper ports, 4 mini-GBIC slots,
> managed, supports VLANs, port aggregation & mirroring,
> selling online for about $2800.
>
> http://www.smc.com/index.cfm?action=products_show_description&productCode=SMC8624T
>
> I'm in the market for a switch for a new cluster, and this,
> by appearances, would do the trick. I'm wondering, however,
> if it's just a trick.

SMC, from what I have seen, has always been a budget leader in switches.
When I got my home 24 port rackmount 100baseT switch, it was $130 and
they had a 2-for-1 sale! Don't expect to drive all the ports at full
speed, but it should do just fine for many uses. I haven't had a single
problem with my switch in the couple of years that I have had it.

	-Dean