disadvantages of linux cluster

M A Suzen mehmet.suzen at bristol.ac.uk
Tue Nov 5 09:41:01 PST 2002

Hi,

Disadvantage of such a distributed environment would be administrative and
maintaince cost as you said, apart from communication interconnect.
(assuming that we are comparing PC-cluster with SGI-multiproc machine)

It is extremely stable (Linux based distributed environments).
Absolutely, it is designed to be work in high load. (mentioning multi-user
is rather trivial due to fact that very good solutions on load-balancing)
How experimental a cluster is depends on owner and his/her implementation?
One should optimize needs versus availability. Pros and cons of
interconnect selection. One should consider power of GNU/Linux
carefully.

Mehmet

--On 05 November 2002 9:30am +0100 Stephane Glockner <glockner at enscpb.fr>