Netgear FA311TX

Mike Davis jmdavis at mail2.vcu.edu
Mon May 20 15:52:11 PDT 2002

I think that Greg and the other posters are talking on different levels. What Greg is saying makes sense. If every
node is a slave, every node has the maps and can use localhost as the NIS server. In this case, NIS is being used
as an alternative to propagating a master password file to all of the nodes.

As a practical point, I like to have a number of slave servers and I used this method (ie. each machine a slave)
on even small installations to make sure that network traffic didn't keep people from being able to login. Since
the maps are on all of the machines, and each machine can serve the others, the chances of complete failure drop
dramatically (assuming that your jobs to propagate maps actually work).

Mike