Passing a newer driver

Donald Becker becker at scyld.com
Thu May 2 15:26:49 PDT 2002

On Thu, 2 May 2002, Eric Miller wrote:

> I am using Intel Pro/100 VE onboard NICs on eight PIII 1.13 boxes.  When I
> boot the the Scyld install, I recive an error during the initial phase,
> before the actual install.  Looks like the network card (or something on my
> PCI bus) is being detected as not supported by that Kernel.

Is the driver loading?  You might have an old release that doesn't
support the new Pro/100 VE ID.

> What is the procedure for specifying those that need to be used, so I can
> continue with the install?  Is it some implementation of modprobe, expert
> mode, disable PCI scan, etc?

You need the network driver to contact the master.  If you are currently
PXE booting, you can just update the images on the master.  Otherwise
you'll need to make new boot media.

> Can someone give me a little more granular walk through, or point me to a
> resource?

The quick overview:
  Compile the updated driver
  Add the PCI ID to the /etc/beowulf/config.boot map
  Rebuild the boot media

Donald Becker				becker at scyld.com
Annapolis MD 21403			410-990-9993