Hardware Progress: $397 (fwd)

Phillip Matz matz at wsunix.wsu.edu
Wed Mar 27 14:00:28 PST 2002

AMD gate lengths are 65nm for their 130nm node, but this is not specific
to AMD.  Check out the ITRS specifications regarding technology nodes
recent bifurcation between minimum metal pitch, as-drawn gate length and
etch-back gate length.

The cost savings are rationalized with respect to the expense of trying
to make a chip now that we will presumably be making in 2006.  In other
words a chip that will cost $60 in 2006 measuring 80 mm^2 would cost 20
times that if made now because the chip size would be 320 mm^2 on
today's technology nodes.  However comparing the cost of manufacturing a
chip measuring 80 mm^2 now to the cost of manufacturing a chip measuring
80 mm^2 in 2006 is entirely a different thing.

- Phil