100BaseT EMI ?

Velocet math at velocet.ca
Wed Mar 27 11:01:12 PST 2002

On Wed, Mar 27, 2002 at 09:45:09AM -0800, Jim Lux's all...
> At a first glance, commercial products will have to meet FCC Part 15
> requirements, giving you an upper bound.
> There are two issues to worry about:
> 1) radiation from the ethernet signals themselves...Shielding may not make
> all that much difference, inasmuch as the signals themselves are on twisted
> pairs and don't radiate all that much to begin with.
> 2)   A bigger issue will be EMI from "inside the PC box" coming out on the
> surface of the wires.  Shielding might(!) help here, but it is a highly
> idiosyncratic thing, and highly "workmanship" dependent. Small changes in
> how things are assembled can make a big difference.
>
> What frequencies (ranges, in general) are you concerned about?  kHz, MHz,
> 100 MHz?
> The shielding strategy, and EMI/EMC techniques, vary quite a bit.  Is
> liberal application of copper foil tape (while testing) a feasible strategy?
>
> Optical interconnects are readily available, and have zero emissions, and
> since they are entirely nonmetallic, can't provide a sneak path for signals
> to creep out of the box. I don't know that optical hubs/switches are
> available (at a reasonable price...)

There's 100 Base-Fx fibre cards out there IIRC - priced them out at one point,
looking for solutions to longer distance interconnects between buildings
without needing repeaters, worrying about ground loops, differing ground
levels and other electrically related problems. I had no worries of EMI, but
it fits the bill here as well.  Some people may be dumping 100baseFX gear as
they move to fibre GBE, or you can always source it new if budget is less of a
concern.

If you have a real concern with EMI from the entire cluster (and without
really good cases, CPUs/mainboards can leak alot more EMI at certain freqs
than ethernet), then you could put the whole thing inside a milspec
faraday cage if you really needed 0 emissions. :)

/kc

Ken Chase, math at velocet.ca  *  Velocet Communications Inc.  *  Toronto, CANADA