MPI not running on Scyld

Donald Becker becker at scyld.com
Mon Mar 25 09:34:43 PST 2002

On Mon, 25 Mar 2002, David Leunen wrote:

> I installed Scyld Beowulf 27z-8.

Have you modified the system in any way?  Specifically, have you
"updated" any package with a RPM from an external source?

> When I boot a slave node, here are the lines that seems errors. I also
> provide the complete log file.
>
> eth0: 3Com 3C905C Tornado  *** INVALID CHECKSUM 002F ***

This indicates that the 3c905C has had its EEPROM modified by code that
doesn't preserve the checksum.
This usually is caused by using the network boot ROM setup (yes, 3Com's
own boot ROM doesn't preserve the data checksum.)

> hda: no response (satus = 0xa1), resetting drive
> hda: no response (satus = 0xa1)

This indicates that the BIOS reported that a drive was present.  It's
likely that the kernel is trying to reset the driver and not getting a
valid response.

> It obviously looks for hard drives though we've diskless nodes ...

Check the BIOS configuration on the machines.

Donald Becker				becker at scyld.com
Annapolis MD 21403			410-990-9993