pvm povray help

Drake Diedrich Drake.Diedrich at anu.edu.au
Wed Mar 20 17:32:24 PST 2002

On Wed, Mar 20, 2002 at 08:11:33PM +0000, Heger The Horrible wrote:

> Hiya,
>
> Has anyone ran pvm povray?
>
> I have set up pvm correctly, and can add hosts to my pvm.
>
> One thing though is when I run pvmpov with said options , e.g. pvmpov
> +Iskyvase.pov +Oskyvase.tga +H480 +W640 pvmpovray starts up, it says its
> spawning 3 tasks for 3 hosts which is correct.
> Then it stops, and says cannot spawn, executable not found.
> I have looked at some literature on the web, and can't find anything which
> says clearly where this exe file should go, and what file it is exactly.

   The appropriate binary needs to be available in the PVM path on each
slave node, usually in PVMROOT/bin/PVMARCH/povray .  Sounds like this is
your problem.

   The next problem you will likely encounter :) : povray with PVM still
reads the scene description file from the filesystem, and parses it in each
slave, so the input file also needs to be available from the same place on
all slave nodes.  pvmpov is not terribly informative if the slaves fail to
read a scene file for whatever reason. The errors are actually found in the
logs in /tmp on each slave.
   It would be much better if the master node did the parsing, and then
exported the parsed structures to all the slaves over PVM, but that would be
a very large project.