gige benchmark performance

Robert G. Brown rgb at
Sat Mar 16 11:12:03 PST 2002

On Thu, 14 Mar 2002, Mark Hartner wrote:

> > also, the latency numbers seemed rather strange to me -
> > am I understanding the graph correctly, that your eepro100
> > was showing something like 500 us latency?  and that all
> Yes, 541us to be exact.
> > the cards were well above 100 us?  that seems quite high,
> > though I'm comparing to a home-made udp-based ping/echo server.
> Around 120us for both the Intel Pro1000T and Netgear GA620.
> Those are the times it takes to transfer 1byte using TCP/IP with Netpipe.
> Are there better ways to measure latency?

Look at lmbench (  It has tools to measure

Although I don't think you'll get a terribly different latency answer
from netpipe and lmbench.  Indeed, if you do a netpipe sweep of packet
sizes, you should see linear growth in bandwidth throughout the latency
dominated region where the slope of the bandwidth/packet size curve is
the number of packets/second.  This gives you a much better "feel" for
the impact of latency at various message sizes than does an isolated
single packet measurement.

Robert G. Brown
Duke University Dept. of Physics, Box 90305
Durham, N.C. 27708-0305
Phone: 1-919-660-2567  Fax: 919-660-2525     email:rgb at