Re: Porting PVM to linux

tekka99@libero.it tekka99 at libero.it
Tue Mar 12 23:33:05 PST 2002

The fact that a distro exists for an architecture, doesn't mean that
the particular package exists itself.
For example RH 7.2 for itanium doesn't contain pvm rpm.
Does anyone know if pvm is available for itanium also?
On the home page http://www.epm.ornl.gov/pvm/pvm_home.html
it isn't explicitly shown as a supported architecture.
At pvmpov homepage(http://pvmpov.sourceforge.net/) is stated
that 3.1.g1 already supported ia64...
Is it easy and stable to compile the 3.4 sources on itanium?
Anyone already tested?
Thanks in advance.

Bye,
Gianluca

> On Tue, Mar 12, 2002 at 07:44:57PM -0500, ahmad rizvi wrote:
> > Does anyone have experiences with porting pvm (parallel virtual mach
ine)
> > onto linux operating system running on a sun sparc system architectu
re??
> > I am new to this lit so i dont know if this is the right place to as
k  ..
> > but if anyone has any pointers, i will be grateful .
> >

> On Wed, Mar 13, 2002 at 01:29:12AM +0000, Martin WHEELER wrote:
> >
> > No direct experience personally; but Debian GNU/Linux is available f
or
> > Sun sparc architecture, and installing pvm/xpvm is as easy as enteri
ng:

> >      apt-get install pvm xpvm
> >

>    Yep, SPARC (32 and 64 bit) has been supported in Debian for a while
.  I
> think SPARC support was among the patches that went into pvm 3.4.3 as
well,
> but due to some security issues with the /tmp/pvm.* rendevous sockets
and
> logs (upstream made a different patch to the same problem, and I'm pre
tty
> convinced 3.4.3 only changes the hole from wide-
open to a race) I haven't
> yet bumped the .debs to the latest PVM.
>

> pvm (3.4.2-4) frozen unstable; urgency=high
>
>   * Release manager: changes required to build on SPARC and ARM
>   * Added flags for sys_errlist to LINUXSPARC (closes: #59574)
>   * Added sparc64 in addition to sparc for LINUXSPARC
>   *   note to self: will need to create LINUXSPARC64 for woody once th
e new
>   *   build environment exists.
>   * Added LINUXARM.
>
>  --
 Drake Diedrich <Drake.Diedrich at anu.edu.au>  Fri,  3 Mar 2000 20:09:39 -
0700

 Drake Diedrich <Drake.Diedrich at anu.edu.au>  Wed,  6 Oct 1999 13:54:40
> +1000
>

> pvm (3.4.0-5) unstable; urgency=high
>
>   * Quick non-backward-compatible fix to unsafe /tmp log and daemon
>     files.  Backward-compatible fixes soon - don't distribute staticly
>     linked binaries from this version for compatibility reasons.
>
>  --
 Drake Diedrich <Drake.Diedrich at anu.edu.au>  Wed, 21 Jul 1999 13:35:45 +
1000