Motherboard query...

Robert G. Brown rgb at
Fri Mar 1 11:02:46 PST 2002

On Fri, 1 Mar 2002, James Cownie wrote:

> > or two many controllers.
> I _think_ from what you said previously this is meant to be "too many
> controllers.", but it's possible that you're making a subtle pun and
> mean that two _is_ too many ? It might therefore be worth a correction.

Total accident -- brain fart.  See previous comment about "reading
replies until 2 am":-).

Boy, I didn't expect this query to generate so much traffic!  Obviously
this is a cluster design issue that a lot of people have deeply
considered and worked out a number of equally functional solutions for
(differing in cost and reliability and hence encouraging a good, healthy
ultimately cost-benefit analysis based debate:-).  If it keeps up I'll
have to resummarize my summary, since Trent Piepho's posted list thread
contains results that support both sides of the hardware vs software

All in all I think the buyer beware, your mileage may vary, prototype or
test before committing to a given design rule sounds like a very sound
one, but the list archives now contain all sorts of useful starting
points and links for the cluster engineer to work with.

Robert G. Brown
Duke University Dept. of Physics, Box 90305
Durham, N.C. 27708-0305
Phone: 1-919-660-2567  Fax: 919-660-2525     email:rgb at