Motherboard query...

Jarrod Smith jsmith at structbio.vanderbilt.edu
Fri Mar 1 10:20:55 PST 2002

On Fri, 1 Mar 2002, Bill Broadley wrote:
> I posted to various mailing lists my experience, and got quite a few

We had the same problem with the same board, and had ditched 3ware. :-)
But that was about 1.5 years ago.

In their defense, the newer products seem to be giving much better
results.  The new board (what is it, the 7850?) has been met with good
success, though I've not used it myself since our dept. is flush with
storage at the moment.  So while I can't personally recommend it, I can
say that it could be worth it to weigh the advice given by those who've
had experience with the newer products.

Personally, we're using the ArenaII IDE Raid products from Maxtronic.
They are easy to install/work on, and very fault-tolerant.  But the
price/performance is not great.

> I seem to recall seeing a press release or similar saying 3ware was
> getting out of the eide raid controller business, but I'm guessing
> that either wasn't true or they changed their mind.

They changed their mind.

--
Jarrod A. Smith, Ph.D.
Asst. Director, Center for Structural Biology