John Burton j.c.burton at
Fri Jun 28 10:29:12 PDT 2002

I have two relatively large NAS units (.5TB and 1.5TB). Both use ATA/100
drives configured in a RAID 5 array. The large one is a standard product
(OpenNAS) from RAIDZONE / Consensys and is used for the datastore for the
NASA SABER project ( The smaller one is a homebuilt NAS
serving as a backup server for our company.  Basically I bought 2 3Ware
hotswap cages (3 ATA/100 drives each and a 3Ware Escalade RAID 5 card (8
ATA/100 channels). The 3Ware card is supported under Linux and causes the
RAID array to look like a SCSI drive. You can also configure the board to
access the drives individually and use software RAID or whatever. We're happy
with both setups, but I'll probably go with the 3Ware setup for our next
project. I like the 3Ware native linux drivers and the RAID manager support -
I don't like "black boxes" and the RAIDZONE unit is more of a black box to me
then the homebuilt... Hope this helps!