Tyan 2720 motherboard for Xeons (fwd)

Doug Farley d.l.farley at larc.nasa.gov
Mon Jun 24 12:19:12 PDT 2002

Personally, I cant complain about Tyan too much, yes they seem always very
eager to get new hardware on the market before anyone else, and sometimes
the first release can be buggy-ish (Look at the problems the S2462 had
during its first BIOS, however, 2 weeks after it was released, they fixed
90% of the major bugs), however I found there products to be much better
than any other company.  I've yet to find any MB vendor that didn't have a
semi-buggy board when it was first released.  And Tyan is a bit more
committed to helping the end user than any other vendor, and they are much
more willing to respond and sometime implement customer suggestions for
next BIOS revisions than anyone else I've dealt with.  They are also more
willing to listen to problems after the word 'Linux' is mentioned than most
other vendors as well.  All in all, yes they can be quick to put things to
market, yes sometimes its a little buggy, but they fix it up, and they
implement more of the cutting/bleeding edge server stuffs more often than
the other vendors.

Doug

 >At 12:40 PM 6/24/2002 -0400, you wrote:
 >Does anyone agree with Steve's opinion?
 >
 >van
 >
 >>Off the record, Tyan has always been junk.  They have a tendency to put
 >>something new out in the market place and have the customers debug it.
 >>Recent case in point is the firmware issues Hard Data spoke of on the Tiger.
 >>However, after 6 months in the field its usually ok.
Doug Farley

Data Analysis and Imaging Branch
Systems Engineering Competency
NASA Langley Research Center