ATHLON vs XEON: number crunching

Ivan Oleynik oleynik at chuma.cas.usf.edu
Wed Jun 19 17:55:05 PDT 2002

Mark,

Does it mean that there is no way to get more from Athlons even using the
fastest CPU for this particular application?

Since I am not an expert in computer architectures I would appreciate more
details about importance of sustained, sequential dram bandwidth for
numerically intensive calculations.

Ivan

Ivan I. Oleynik                       E-mail : oleynik at chuma.cas.usf.edu
Department of Physics
University of South Florida
4202 East Fowler Avenue                  Tel : (813) 974-8186
Tampa, Florida 33620-5700                Fax : (813) 974-5813