66MHz 3.3V PCI Graphics cards?

Robert G. Brown rgb at phy.duke.edu
Tue Jun 18 13:43:40 PDT 2002

On Tue, 18 Jun 2002, Nicholas Brealey wrote:

> Hello
>
> I have only built one machine so far (the master in a 4U case).
> It worked fine except that it would hang before you could
> get to the setup menu with a SiS PCI graphics card.
>
> An old Matrox Millenium G200 AGP graphics did not display
> anything at all. (I should double check I might have done
> something stupid like not plug in the monitor - it was rather
> late when I tried it).
>
> A new NVidia graphics card worked OK.
>
> I have upgraded the motherboard BIOS to the latest beta 4.01u
> but is still hangs when using the SiS PCI card.

I wish I could help beyond what I already said, but as you've discovered
there are cards that work and cards that don't, and you'll just have to
experiment to find out which is which. I don't know if it has anything
to do with the BIOS setting -- there is a place where you can set AGP vs
PCI for the video console, but it worked for our PCI cards either way if
it worked for them at all.

Another thing to let you know about is that they now make a 2x64 bit,
1xAGP riser that has an AGP ribbon to extend the AGP bus to a horizotal
riser slot.  With it one can in principle run an AGP video card and two
64/66 PCI cards.  We're likely going to test this riser on our next
cluster purchase, but on this one I didn't get any video cards at all.
I just use the one Matrox (PCI) card that works to set up the serial
console, and thereafter use only the serial console.  Saves a bit of
money, a bit of power, and a bit of heat NOT to have a video card in a
node.

   rgb