INTEL XEON vs AMD ATHLON

Rocky McGaugh rocky at atipa.com
Wed Jun 12 07:34:40 PDT 2002

On Wed, 12 Jun 2002, Greg Lindahl wrote:

> I've found that the Intel compiler generates code which runs pretty
> well on the Athlon. The Intel compiler is also good at generating code
> which is specialized to the P4's SSE2 registers, but that's sometimes
> slower than ordinary code which does not use the SSE2 registers.  I
> find the compiler "issue" to be more FUD than real. What's your
> experience with it?
>
> -- greg

We've not really done alot of testing. Exactly one customer had roughly
30% gains over g77 and 10% gains over pgi, but that was a single case. In
this example, performance was actually slower than g77 with the intel
version 5, but better with version 6.

--
Rocky McGaugh
Atipa Technologies
rocky at atipatechnologies.com
rmcgaugh at atipa.com
1-785-841-9513 x3110
http://1087800222/
perl -e 'print unpack(u, ".=W=W+F%T:7\!A+F-O;0H`");'