Optimal number of nfsd? [was: Re: OT:nfs hangs with redhat 7.3]

Mike Davis jmdavis at mail2.vcu.edu
Mon Jul 29 10:44:40 PDT 2002

With large sgi's, SGI recommends 1 nfsd per processor. This works well for machines not being used as disk
servers. I currentley run 20-24  nfsd on a 16 p machine. Smaller machines can necessitate more nfsd's per
processor. Note that RH 7.2+ now starts 8 by default.

My rule of thumb is to monitor the logs and determine if I need more resources although this can sometimes create
its own problems.

Mike