fsck at boot

Greg Lindahl lindahl at keyresearch.com
Mon Jul 1 19:07:15 PDT 2002

RedHat 7.2 and 7.3 have an interesting feature on boot: e2fsck can
exit with 2 in some circumstances, causing /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit to
drop to a shell prompt. Well, 2 means "filesystems modified
successfully" (no problem there, that's the same as an exit value of
1) "system should be rebooted if filesystem was mounted" (it wasn't).

Since the server which consistently trips on this is one I can't play
with, I can't really experiment with it much, but surely someone out
there in cluster land has experienced this problem?

The apparent fix is to change the test to be > 2 instead of > 1. But,
I'd think RedHat should have noticed by now...

greg