NFS-root mounting problem

Michael Prinkey mprinkey at aeolusresearch.com
Mon Jul 1 10:11:06 PDT 2002

We ran into a similar problem in building a netboot cluster.  The
normal startup process is trying to mount the root partition again.
What you really need to do is remount it and make sure it is rw.
You can try that.  I think it might require changing the rc.sysinit
script.  Or perhaps just take the root listing out of /etc/fstab

FWIW, we found the whole root NFS approach to be more trouble than
it was worth.  Instead, we built a 4MB ramdisk and used it as /.
Then we have several ro mounts that go to /bin, /usr, etc. which
are used for all of the nodes in the cluster and only have rw /tmp
and /var for each node.

Mike Prinkey
Aeolus Research, Inc.