AMD Athlon with Intel Fortran Compiler

Martin Siegert siegert at sfu.ca
Mon Jan 28 13:15:05 PST 2002

On Fri, Jan 25, 2002 at 09:41:45AM -0700, Craig Tierney wrote:
> I ran the Intel Fortran Compiler on an dual 1.2 Ghz AMD system.
> I was seen speed improvements of 10-30% over the Portland
> Group compiler on 3 different fortran 77 codes.
> I was using the SSE instructions when compiling.

This is all very nice, but has anybody actually been able to buy the
Intel compilers? I mean a license that can be used on a multi-user
Beowulf cluster? The only quotes (on the web site and when I contacted
Intel or hibbertgroup.com) I got were for single user licenses.
That is useless for a Beowulf cluster at a university where the users
change continuously.

I asked for a license based on the number of concurrent users or
something similar. I have not heard anything from them ever since ...

Martin

Martin Siegert
Academic Computing Services                        phone: (604) 291-4691
Simon Fraser University                            fax:   (604) 291-4242
Burnaby, British Columbia                          email: siegert at sfu.ca
Canada  V5A 1S6