Linux Cluster New User

Andrew Shewmaker shewa at
Mon Jan 28 08:11:41 PST 2002

First, have your read the FAQ
linked to from

It sounds like you have a pre-existing network of workstations that you
want to run
parallel applications on.  In this case, you probably want to install an
implementation of
a parallel environment like MPI or PVM.  The fastest way (for you) would
be to find rpm
packages of MPICH or LAM-MPI (for MPI) and PVM.  You probably have one
or more of these packages if you have the CDs, but you can also look at

It is also easy to install these packages from source.

You will also probably want a way to execute the same command across the
entire cluster.  Mandrake comes with a useful tool called pconsole  You may also want to try Scalable Unix
Tools  Another is
There are others.  I just remembered

Of course a cluster distribution will generally have all of this (and
more) figured out for you.