Linux Cluster New User

Andrew Shewmaker shewa at inel.gov
Mon Jan 28 08:11:41 PST 2002

Prant,

First, have your read the FAQ
(http://www.canonical.org/~kragen/beowulf-faq.txt)
linked to from beowulf.org?

It sounds like you have a pre-existing network of workstations that you
want to run
parallel applications on.  In this case, you probably want to install an
implementation of
a parallel environment like MPI or PVM.  The fastest way (for you) would
be to find rpm
packages of MPICH or LAM-MPI (for MPI) and PVM.  You probably have one
or more of these packages if you have the CDs, but you can also look at
rpmfind.net

It is also easy to install these packages from source.
http://www-unix.mcs.anl.gov/mpi/mpich/
http://www.lam-mpi.org
http://www.csm.ornl.gov/pvm/

You will also probably want a way to execute the same command across the
entire cluster.  Mandrake comes with a useful tool called pconsole
http://www.heiho.net/pconsole/.  You may also want to try Scalable Unix
Tools http://www-unix.mcs.anl.gov/sut/.  Another is
http://www.vais.net/~efinch/global.html
There are others.  I just remembered http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~bnc/rexec/

Of course a cluster distribution will generally have all of this (and
more) figured out for you.

http://www.scyld.com
http://rocks.npaci.edu
http://www.opensce.org