Beowulf with Gigabit Ethernet

alex at compusys.co.uk alex at compusys.co.uk
Fri Jan 11 09:40:16 PST 2002

I think that in general point to point performance information has a
limited value, whatever vendors might quote on their web-page. SCI might
be performing pretty well if it comes down to just latency and bandwidth
between two machines, but it is a ring topology. If you have
more machines on a ring they will share that same bandwidth.

The price performance ratio is dependent on what application you are
running plus how many nodes you need: 3D SCI is more expensive in
comparison to Myrinet while 2D SCI is cheaper.

Alex