Fastest Intel Processors

Dominic Wu dwu at
Fri Jan 11 09:34:11 PST 2002

increase over P3s sit with our esteemed colleagues?

-----Original Message-----
From: beowulf-admin at [mailto:beowulf-admin at]On
Behalf Of Craig Tierney
Sent: Friday, January 11, 2002 8:13 AM
To: Rob Simac
Cc: beowulf at
Subject: Re: Fastest Intel Processors

The 2.2 Ghz cpus have just been released.  This generation
of cpu is built at 0.13 microns and has twice as big of a
L2 cache (512 KB).   These are the single processor versions.
The Xeon (smp) chips should follow shortly (I am guessing).
Go look at the roadmaps at  They tend to
be accurate.

I have not heard that there is a problem with the 2.0 Ghz.  Is
it a problem with RedHat or the Linux kernel specifically?  We
had no problems with the 1.7 Ghz Xeon chips, but they are not the
2.0 Ghz that you are talking about.

On Fri, Jan 11, 2002 at 07:03:35AM -0800, Rob Simac wrote:
>   What is the fastest Intel processors available to the public?  Have
> the 2.0 Ghz been released?  I have also heard rumors that the 2.0 Ghz
> has problems running with Red Hat 7.1.  Has anyone else heard this?
>                       Ciao,
>                            Rob.
>       Rob Simac -- Therma-Wave, Inc. -- rsimac at
> <mailto:rsimac at>
> "Remember this, foolish mortals, when ye stare headlong into the
> mind-paralyzing void, the inky black nothingness of existence, the
> hellish yawning maw of the abyss -- it's pretty damn dark, so give it a
> few minutes for your eyes to adjust."
>                           Frank M. Carrano, Branford, Conn.
>                           (Bulwer-Lytton Writing Contest Runner-up)

Craig Tierney (ctierney at
Beowulf mailing list, Beowulf at