Fastest Intel Processors

. astroguy at bellsouth.net
Fri Jan 11 08:31:55 PST 2002

  -----Original Message-----
  From: . [mailto:astroguy at bellsouth.net]
  Sent: Friday, January 11, 2002 11:25 AM
  To: Rob Simac
  Subject: RE: Fastest Intel Processors

  Hi Rob,
  I really think this Ghz. goobly-gook is way over rated.  I think, if you
look more closley at the problem, the key to superior proformance is in the
found in the actual construction or architecture of the processor.  The
Itanium, for example only runs at 733 Mghz but it has (on die)   2meg of
cashe on the L-2... The Alpha, in its previous incarnation ran at only 233
but did 64 bit processing... Quite amazing actually.  A friend wrote me
that:
  "Red hat is working closely with Compaq to solidify its OS to the Alpha
architecture"... I don't know for sure, first hand... But it is, of course,
the next logical step, since FreeBSD, already provides a clean UNIX 64 bit
processing code for the Alpha.