newbie, PVM setup

Robert G. Brown rgb at phy.duke.edu
Thu Feb 28 13:13:56 PST 2002

On Thu, 28 Feb 2002, Heger The Horrible wrote:

> Hiya,
>
> I am a newbie to setting up Beowulf's.
> Am doing one currently for my final year project at university.
>
> Anyway, I have installed SuSE 7.2 on 4 nodes, (P100's)., and have installed
> pvm when I was doing the installation of SuSE.
>
> I can get the pvm>, so assume pvm is working correctly. I can conf, to see
> the master node. What I cannot do however is add hostname. When I do, I get
> this message (see below message)
> I have installed pvm on the slave nodes in the same way as I did for the
> master, and can get pvm> on each of them.
> I have edited hosts.equiv, and hosts.allow for each of them.
>
> I'd be very grateful if anyone could help me. I am a newbie in Beowulf's as I
> said before, so hopefully its something simple to you guys/girls.

At the moment, it looks like rsh isn't yet configured so that you can
freely execute rsh commands across the network.  You should be able to
run something like:

  rsh tiger ls -aF /

and see tiger's root filesystem without complaint before you try the PVM
thing again.  You'll have to just muddle through your .rhosts and/or
hosts.equiv setup until you accomplish this.

An alternative that I personally would prefer in your place (because rsh
sucks in so many ways) would be to install OpenSSH and use ssh instead
of rsh as your remote shell.  You still have the problem of figuring out
how to get ssh to permit remote access without a password (pretty
straightforward, actually, and FAR more secure when accomplished) and
you'll have to set an environment variable to tell PVM to use it instead
of rsh, but your network will be far more secure in the end and your PVM
performance won't be materially affected.

ssh also does lots of other neat stuff (like port forwarding and X11
forwarding) that you may or may not ever need, but which is mighty handy
if you do.

   rgb