PCI-64: how to find

David Geldreich David.Geldreich at sophia.inria.fr
Mon Feb 25 07:47:46 PST 2002

    Hello Mikhail,

    I am currently evaluating an Intel Pro/1000 fiber in a PCI 64/66
slot.

    The information about PCI 64/66 is found in the driver info:

cat /proc/net/PRO_LAN_Adapters/eth0.info

Description               Intel(R) PRO/1000 Network Connection
Part_Number               a38888-002
Driver_Name               e1000
Driver_Version            3.1.23
PCI_Vendor                0x8086
PCI_Device_ID             0x1001
PCI_Subsystem_Vendor      0x8086
PCI_Subsystem_ID          0x1003
PCI_Revision_ID           0x02
PCI_Bus                   0
PCI_Slot                  9
PCI_Bus_Type              PCI
PCI_Bus_Speed             66MHz
PCI_Bus_Width             64-bit

     I have tested bandwidth with ttcp talking to 19 100Mb/s machine and
got 930 Mbit/s bandwidth in either direction.

     I am currently having problem with fullduplex; the driver and my
switch are telling fullduplex, but doing ttcp in both direction
simultaneously gives only 520Mbit/s in both direction (a total of
1040Mbit were I expect 1800Mbit).

     Is there (objective) comparison chart (bandwidth + latency) of
Gigabit ethernet vs Myrinet vs Dolphin ?

     Thanks in advance.