Help with daemons

Robert G. Brown rgb at
Sun Feb 10 07:12:38 PST 2002

On Sat, 9 Feb 2002, Srikanth Gururajan wrote:

> Hi,
> I have been trying ti implement NFS on two linux boxes running RH5.1. the
> trouble is that the portmapper daemon refuses to run. can someone help me
> on how to set up the NFS.
> thanks,
> srik.

Um, did you say 5.1?  The simplest way to help you is to urge an upgrade
to 7.2 (current).

The 5.1 distribution was never terrible stable, and I shudder to think
of long list of really serious security exploits that it contained.  As
it if you run it then it is very likely that anybody with a mind can
crack it from pretty much anywhere on the internet, and anybody on the
system can become root without much effort.  Quite possibly using the
portmap daemon you are trying to set up.

Even 5.2 was a lot better than 5.1.

If your system has a resource problem (such as only 16 MB of main memory
or the like) invest the $30 or so to give it an upgrade.  Memory is
cheap and falling fast again post Christmas.