Recent AMD760MPX chipset PCI measurements??

Paul Lu paullu at cs.ualberta.ca
Thu Feb 7 18:56:52 PST 2002

Hello:

In late November/December, there was some exciting news about the
(then) forthcoming AMD 760 MPX chipset and the Tyan S2466 motherboard,
especially wrt 64-bit/66 MHz PCI performance with Myrinet.

Understandably, the details were under NDA and could not be made public.

Now, I find some results at:

	http://www.conservativecomputer.com/myrinet/64bit/amddualMPX.txt

To quote:

	DMA rate for 4096 Byte transfers (64bit / 66MHz bus)
	1st: 8 pages from bogus sdma pg, 8 to bogus rdma
	        bus_read  (send) = 315 MBytes/s
	        bus_write (recv) = 341 MBytes/s

which is a bit disappointing.  I guess the numbers are not outright
horrible, but they are not nearly as good as the Serverworks-based boards
we have now (yes, this may be an apples-oranges thing :-)

Please, please tell me these numbers are not representative.

Since the chipset and boards are now released, perhaps the NDAs have
expired now and we hear about the original numbers??

Thank you,

	...Paul