Advice on Cluster Hardware.

Trent Piepho xyzzy at speakeasy.org
Thu Feb 7 18:47:07 PST 2002

On Tue, 5 Feb 2002, Ivan Pulleyn wrote:

> Do you happen to know what the USB problems are? I read some report on
> anandtech that stated systems based on the AMD-768 seemed to work
> fine, but there are persistent rumors of problems.

Not exactly, but I did find this on AMDzone:

	I've verified with AMD and several motherboard makers that there is a
	USB problem with the 768 Southbridge that makes up a portion of the
	760MPX chipset.  There are a few situations where USB may not
	function.  This has caused some motherboard makers to delay shipment
	of their 760MPX chipset based motherboards while others are shipping
	boards with a USB 2 PCI card.  Steps are being undertaken to make sure
	that this USB problem is solved this quarter according to Damon Munzy
	of AMD.  AMD stresses that the USB problem is limited in nature, but
	they do wish to fix it regardless of its scope.