Advice on Cluster Hardware.

Doug J Nordwall doug at pnl.gov
Tue Feb 5 10:33:38 PST 2002

On Tue, 2002-02-05 at 09:35, Alberto Ramos wrote:

>   Here in a university of Madrid, we are designing a Beowulf for paralel
> computing in QCD. We will begin with a small cluster to see the performance
> and later try with other comunications, like mirynet.
>
>   The Hardware will be 4 nodes each consisting of:
>
>   - 2xAMD MP 1800+ CPU
>   - 1x512MB RAM DDR
>   - 1xTyan tiger MP
>   - 2x3-COM 905B NIC
>   - 20GB HD
>
>   The master node has 1GB of RAM DDR, and one aditional HD to use as /home.
>
>   The conection will be trought a HP Procurve Switch 408 with 8 ports to use
> Chanel Bonding.
>
>   Now the questions:
>
>   - Any known problems with the hardware?

not as far as I know

>   - Are the NIC and the Switch good choices?

if you are not doing high speed connectivity, these are fine choices.
Does each machine have 2 3com cards in it? Are you planning on binding
them together?

>   - Will the Intel FORTRAN 90 Compiler work with this hardware.

It should. I'm not sure it'll gain you any performance boosts though,
since you are using AMD processors.

>   Thank you very much for your time.
>
>   Alberto.

Douglas J Nordwall	http://rex.nmhu.edu/~musashi
System Administrator	Pacific Northwest National Labs