High Speed Beowulf Cluster using gigabit ethernet

Trent Piepho xyzzy at speakeasy.org
Mon Feb 4 20:59:29 PST 2002

On Mon, 4 Feb 2002, Velocet wrote:
> > $36 GbE NIC's in the US ? The lowest i heard of was Intel's GbE NIC's for $69.
> >
> > Would you mind sending me the links to the site you brought it from ?
>
> $34.50 USD for ADDTRON GBE based on the NS83820 (or is that 82830?)
> chipset.
>
> not sure if its a 32 or 64 bit card though.

The $36 addtron cards that a few places have on pricewatch are 32bit cards.  I
also see Ark GA-2500T and D-Link DGE-500T cards for $44-50 from a few places.
The cheapest 64-bit cards seem to be some more Addtron ones starting at $67.

Addtron claims their 320T and 620T (64bit) cards work with Linux.  I don't
know what the ark and dlink cards' status is.  The quality of the driver (
stability, hardware TCP/IP checksum, jumbo frames, etc.) and any motherboards
incompatibilities are also a big question.