how to build a small Beowulf cluster

Daniel Kidger Daniel.Kidger at quadrics.com
Mon Feb 4 06:56:24 PST 2002

Steve Gaudet wrote:

>Hello Ting,
>
>>   I am new to this mailing list.
>>   Also it's my first time to build "small" cluster alone for school's
>> project.
>>   Only 2 linux machines , one is master and the other is the node.
>>   Their CPU - P4 1.76Hz, 80GB in HD, 1GB memory.
>>   One has SMC EZ NIC card, the other has Intel Pro 10/100 NIC Card.
>>
>>   I surfed lots web sites, including www.beowulf-underground.org and
>>   www.xtreme-machines.com.
>>   BUT, I still have no idea how/where to start!!
>>
>>   Can some one point a way for me?
>>   I'll be appreciated!!
>
>You can start here;
>

>http://www.scyld.com     which is cluster distribution
>http://rocks.npaci.edu
>http://www.opensce.org
>http://oscar.sourceforge.net/software.php

Whilst these are all very worthy websites ,they all describe particular
'solutions' to Linux clustering and so are really beyond the scope of a
school project.

More importantly, all the guts are clustering is 'hidden' so he wouldn't
learn much!

To get started with a 2 node system, I would suggest the minimum is to:
  1. install say RH7.2 on both
  2. create a username on both nodes and export /home from one to the other
(and perhaps /usr/local)
  3. get and build mpich
  4. try running a simple MPI hello world program

Then go on to other things, like: a private ethernet between them, nis, job
scheduling, compling bigger applicaiton codes, etc.

Yours,
Daniel.

Dr. Dan Kidger, Quadrics Ltd.      daniel.kidger at quadrics.com
One Bridewell St., Bristol, BS1 2AA, UK         0117 915 5505