rather unfortunate article on Mac

Richard Walsh rbw at networkcs.com
Fri Feb 1 07:17:03 PST 2002

Bari Ari wrote:

> We looked at building some very dense clusters using the G4s. The
> floating point performance is great (15Gflops peak) as well as the raw
> performance vs. power consumption (21watts at 1GHz). The main drawbacks are
> price of the CPUs (though the new 7455s are only $125/10k for the 800MHz
> versions), lack of support from Motorola and lack of any decent
> clustering software such as Scyld.

Are those 32-bit or 64-bit flops for the peak calculation? I see 4
vector FMA's and 1 standalone (can it chain mult and add?), so I
guess it could be 15 64-bit gflops at 1.5 GHz cycle time. That would
be:

  (4 + 1) * 2 * 1.5 = 15 gflops

Is this the correct calculation?

Regards,

rbw

#---------------------------------------------------
#
# Richard Walsh
# Project Manager, Cluster Computing, Computational
#                  Chemistry and Finance
# netASPx, Inc.
# 1200 Washington Ave. So.
# Minneapolis, MN 55415
# VOX:    612-337-3467
# FAX:    612-337-3400
# EMAIL:  rbw at networkcs.com, richard.walsh at netaspx.com
#
#---------------------------------------------------
# "What you can do, or dream you can, begin it;
#  Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it."
#                                  -Goethe
# "Without mystery, there can be no authority."
#                                  -Charles DeGaulle
# "Why waste time learning when ignornace is
#  instantaneous?"                 -Thomas Hobbes
# "In the chaos of a river thrashing, all that water
#  still has to stand in line."    -Dave Dobbyn